Sunday, May 14, 2006

Count Down to "I-Land"

Hello,

And welcome to my blog about my future adventures in Israel. If you don't already know, I have been accepted to an internship with Bank HaPoalim in Israel. According to them, they are Israel's largest bank (I think it's almost a tie between them and Bank Leumi.) I will most likely be working in corporate finance (if I get my top choice, among five areas that I can pick from,) which should be interesting, considering I've been trying to stay away from finance ever since I took it last semester (just kidding, Professor Pierce!) My internship will be from June 18-August 11, so it should be enough time for me to garner some impressions of Israel outside of two trips that I've taken that have been very tourist-centric. It will also give me a chance to practice my Hebrew (Ani mekevah she haIsraelim yidabru iti b'ivrit, lo b'anglit kmo hem osu b'avar!) Needless to say, I am extremely excited.

However, as with all great adventures, not all is well. There are huge monetary issues that, as a future economist, I theoretically should have no trouble tackling. The internship does pay a stipend, but there are still airfaire fees and housing, which brings me to my next point. If you know of any place I can stay in Tel Aviv for that time span, please let me know! I will pay for a cardboard box next to the bank! I am rather desperate. So for the time being, I am just trying to save up money for the trip and to analyze how I can pack light. For women, this is no easy task. After all, I AM going to need at least 7 pairs of shoes, right?

Anyway, I hope you enjoy my blog (which will probably be done weekly-I don't know what my computer situation in Israel is yet, but I'm sure I'll go to a cafe at least once a week.) and please leave me lots of comments!

2 comments:

Mer said...

Vicki, I miss you already. Pittsburgh is quiet... I hope I get to see you at the end of the summer. Bye bye the Vicki.

love, the Mer

Artem said...

If craigslist tel aviv is anything like craigslist dc you can find cheap housing. Or someone willing to barter "services" for free rent.