Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Journey Seems Like It's Already Begun

In the past two days, looking frantically for apartments with my new roommate Julia (yay!) from Chicago has been crazy. I've had to do more Hebrew speaking than I have in my entire life, and it has been extremely nerve-wracking. I can only now appreciate how my parents felt when they came to America, not knowing English. And I've taken classes for two years in this language. It was very nervewracking the first time I had to call someone in Israel about an apartment, but today, when I talked to someone from Tel Aviv University about housing, I don't think she picked up on the fact that I was a foreigner and I understood her, which boosted my self-esteem a lot. The next call, to a person owning an apartment in Jaffo, was very bad, and he switched over to English. How am I going to survive Israel? I can't ask everyone to "ledaber b'Anglit" all the time! Nathan, if you are reading this, it's not your fault. I am just a subpar Hebrew speaker. :)

1 comment:

The Phantom Boogie said...

Eh, why fret about not knowing Hebrew? As you pointed out, the one guy switched to English. So just talk to them in English, like normal people.

;-)