Thursday, June 08, 2006

Phone? Check. Tickets? Check. Sanity? Nope.

Ok. I must appologize for hyping this blog up, and then simply not writing in it. I think the inevitable truth is that as soon as I start making preparations for this trip, then I will actually acknowledge that I am leaving and then the truth that I am leaving many people who care about me behind, and who will worry that I might die. Obviously there is foundation to that, but not nearly as much as people think. In fact, you are safer in Tel Aviv than in America. If you don't believe that, you haven't been keeping up with our flawed national security system. But that's another story entirely.

I rented an apartment. Well, it's more accurate to say that Batami (one of my fellow interns, from Texas University) found the apartment and secured it for us. We will be living in Dizengoff Tower. Here is the exact address if you wish to write, although I'm not sure what the mail situation is yet:
1308 Dizengoff 50, Tel Aviv, 64332 (the complex is called Dizengoff Tower)
You'll have to format the address in Israeli fashion, which I'm not entirely sure what it is. Batami (female), myself, and two boys will be sharing a 1-bedroom 800 square foot apartment, with or without internet (not sure what this situation is yet, either.) Knowing what I know about my boyfriend (mainly that he is a slob-I mean that in the nicest way, honey,) I am a bit reluctant about living with boys, but again, I'm sure it will be an adventure and part of growing up, especially since they keep kosher, and those of you who know about me, know that I most definitely do not. We plan to eat out a lot to keep the disagreements at a minimum.

An adventure is how we are going to get from the apartment to work, since it's at least a 30 minute walk, at least by my calculations, and the internship hasn't provided very much of...anything in terms of information for us. Oh well, it should be an adventure.

I've also gotten my Israel cell phone today in the mail, so if you are interested, you are most certainly welcome to have it if you ask :).

Other than that, I have not even remotely started packing, in fear of evoking the inevitable, the fact that I will be having a great time in a place I really want to be, with my loved ones left behind. And so I sleep, read, scrape together money for the numerous falafels to follow, and count down the days to the greatest adventure of my life.

No comments: